Thursday 28 April 2011

Progressive Supper a Success

When I was asked to host a course of a progressive supper that our youth were doing, I must admit to a slight amount of trepidation.  Regardless, I said yes, and agreed to do the appetizers.  For those who don't know what a progressive supper is, it is a 5 course meal, done throughout the evening, but each course is at a different person's house.  There were four different groups going from place to place, and the aim of the game is that they won't get there meal in any particular order.  So some groups start with dessert, while others start with main course and so on.  I've discovered that although I love having people over, its a stretch for me to have people over that I don't know, or who have never been to our house.  And typically I want a tidy and clean place to give a good impression.  Thus my trepidation.

I was therefore pleasantly surprised with myself  that I agreed to do this as it stretches me a little with my comfort zones.  But as I was preparing yesterday and today, I was quite excited.  And when each group came I realized that it was quite fun.  Not only to provide the food, but to actually see who the youth in our church are and to talk a little with them. And we also heard from the youth that they were enjoying not only the food, but also having some people from the congregation they don't know take an interest in them.  It was truly a neat experience all around.  Over the course of the evening I served 3 different appetizers to approximately 20 people.  And a note of interest was how much less the last groups ate compared to the first!  They are, after all, stretching their meal over 3 hours, and at many of them eating as much as a typical meal. 

For the girls the highlight was having their babysitter come in one of the groups.  They waited anxiously all evening for when she would come, and we let them stay up later than normal, because as it was, she was in the last group.  But for them, well worth the wait.  In fact it was great for them to see so many different people here, and after the initial shyness passed they definitely enjoyed it as much as everyone else.  So first time hosting the youth for progressive supper is deemed a success.!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone! Sounds like a great evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love progressive suppers - both being a participant and a host! Good for you for being willing to do this.

    ReplyDelete