Sunday 15 May 2011

Shifting Perspective

Its been very difficult for me to change my whole mindset in regards to eating and weight loss now that I'm pregnant.  I hadn't realized how much I kept track of it and how many habits(good at the time), I had formed.  This last week I really let myself go with the busyness of the garage sale, and it bothered me a lot.  I ate out often, suppers were not healthy, evening snacking was normal, and exercise didn't happen.  Now I know that I shouldn't be trying to lose weight now, but I do want to be healthy.  And I know that if I can continue to exercise throughout my pregnancy and not gain crazy amounts, that it will be much easier to bounce back later.  So I need to work on changing my whole thought pattern.  Before I was careful with what I ate and diligent in my exercising, and in the month that I got pregnant I lost 5 pounds.  Significant for me.  And it felt really great to see the numbers moving down.  So my goal this week is to get exercising again, and to eat healthy.  If I continue my workouts like before, I need to make sure that I eat enough calories to even it out.  I've looked it up online and found that I don't need very many more calories now than I did before, I just need to make sure I'm taking in the full amount and not trying to stay under a certain number.  I'm also cutting way back on caffeine and increasing my calcium.  I'm not sure whether that will help at all, as my parathyroid messes that all up, and surgery is now postponed till after the baby, but it is something baby needs, so hopefully my body will be able to process some of the extra and give it to baby. 
We were about to go to a natural health clinic about our infertility when we found out we were already pregnant.  But one of the things we knew we would probably need to do if we pursued that was change our eating habits completely, giving up pretty much all sugars and forms it takes, flour and anything processed.  It would have been very difficult, but we would have done it.  Now that we got pregnant without needing to do that, I've thought that maybe its not a bad idea to give up some of it anyway, at least to a certain extent.  'Cause hey, if its supposed to help someone to get pregnant, than likely it would be great for the baby after too.  Just some thoughts, and a bit of a pep talk to myself to get it together this week and not just go the easy route.  But to be fair to myself, I wasn't home last week a whole lot, and the first trimester tiredness has certainly kicked in, so when I was home, I really didn't feel like putting a whole lot of effort into a decent supper.  All this to say that although I am not going to focus on losing weight now, I do still want to be healthy and give this baby the best I can, so I'm upping my game this week and getting back into the healthy mentality.  Its just a shift in perspective now that I'm supporting another life and its not just me. 

1 comment:

  1. Good job Rhonda! You are looking good and doing great with changing your whole food perspective:)

    ReplyDelete