Wednesday 3 August 2011

"I can't do it"," yes, you can"

Lately we've been trying to teach Mikaela  that most times when she doesn't think she can do something, that she actually can.  Specifically, that she can go to the bathroom by herself without any help, and that she can pedal her trike by herself even when she's tired.  Often she tells us "I can't do it"  and our response has been "yes, you can".  Its become obvious to me that we have been saying it a lot, when I hear Chasadya from the other room tell her sister "you can do it, yes, you can".  Not having boys, I'm not completely sure if I'm right on this, but I believe that is Bob the Builder's motto.  "Can we do this?  Yes we can".  Kind of funny hearing it from my kids now, but I guess the words have been repeated enough.  Hopefully it sinks in.

1 comment:

  1. Annika is totally at this stage too (maybe it's a 3 year old thing?). It's hard too, with a baby, because she sees us feeding him, carrying him, etc and wants to be treated like that too. We have to keep reminding her that she's the big girl, not the baby, and that she can indeed do things by herself. I try to emphasize that she can do things that Emmett can't, because he's a baby. Like you said, hopefully it sinks in!

    ReplyDelete